Incorporated 1887, Crowley, the "the Heart of the Cajun Prairie", was founded and originally platted and developed by two brothers that owned the Southwest Louisiana Land Company. W. W. Duson was a merchant and realtor from Rayne and the owner of the Rayne Signal. His brother, C.C. Duson, helped him with the 174-acre development that they dubbed, "The Garden Spot of the World".
The town was named after Pat Crowley, a railroad man who was convinced by the Duson Brothers to move a railroad switch to their land. The switch led to a permanent depot on the property. During the ensuing 100 plus years, the community became very wealthy as the hub of the rice farming and oil and gas business in Acadia Parish.
The Crowley National Historic District, with over 200 buildings on the National Historic District Register, and its multitude of palatial homes is but one indicator of the wealth Crowley enjoyed during the early part of the century. Today, Crowley is known as the "Rice Capital of America.
Crowley and Vaux Sur Sure, Belgium (1989)