Founded 1776 and incorporated 1855, Joseph Boutin whose land grant was dated October 1776 first settled Grand Coteau. Acadian, Anglo-American, and Irish families settled in the 1780's. French and German merchants arrived in the mid-19th century. The town is noted for its historic structures and religious institutions. It is also noted for its magnificent oak and other trees that form allées and groves in many locations.
Grand Coteau National Historic District
Within the district are over seventy properties of architectural or historic significance. Creole, French, Acadian, Anglo-American, and Victorian styles are present in the many historic homes, commercial buildings, and religious institutions. The District is one of the few primarily rural ones in the United States. Listed in 1980.